Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Trim Your YouTube Videos

If your eyes are sharp, you will realise the video in my previous post does not start at 0:01.
Did I trimmed the video?
How did I do that?

Simple. Just specify the start point of the video.
For example, I copied the embed code from YouTube.
Then, I delete and replace whatever is behind the YouTube url "http://www.youtube.com/v/oxSoR4Ec9VU" with &start=5. And Wah-Lah, your YouTube video will start at the 5th second.

My embed code looks like this
<object height="505" width="640"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxSoR4Ec9VU&start=5"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oxSoR4Ec9VU&start=5" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="505" width="640"></embed></object>

Oh ya. The time has to be given in second. Thus 2:48 has to be written as 168

And if I would like to split that video into 4 parts, this is what I can do
&start=5

&start=165

&start=328

&start=488

Simple, eh?

If you want some real trimming of YouTube videos online.
Just visit the YouTube 'idea incubator', TestTube, and click Video Editor.
It allows you to trim, combine, add some video transitions (crossfade, wipe, swipe) and even add soundtracks.

As written in the intro
"TestTube is , our ideas incubator. This is where YouTube engineers and developers test out recipes and concoctions that aren't quite fully baked...."
But I sure am looking forward to more features. =)
Kudos to YouTube!

0 comments: