Sunday, January 15, 2012

People with Unimaginable Intelligence

I shared this on Facebook some time ago

But seeing this today really strikes me

Carly was diagnosed with autism, but  'she sees herself as a normal child locked up in a body that does things she has no control over.'

Many thought she was dumb, or mentally retarded, that's until she started to communicate with the world through typing. Letter by letter, slowly with each finger-strike, but with unimaginable fluency.
"I think people get a lot of their information from so-called experts, but if a horse is sick, you don't ask a fish what's wrong with the horse. You go right to the horse's mouth."

"Why do autistic kids cover their ears, flap their hands, hum and rock?"
Carly, "It's a way for us to drown out all sensory input that overloads us all at once. We create output to block out input." "Our brains are wired differently, we take in many sounds and conversations at once. I take over a thousand pictures of a person' face when I look at them. That's why we have a hard time looking at people."

"I think the only thing I can say is don't give up. Your inner voice will find its way out. Mine did."
                                                                                                                                           ~Carly

0 comments: