Saturday, November 6, 2010

Welcome to 'MY' Tomb

Scenario 1: Meeting freshmen
GES: Hi, I'm Eng Seng
Freshman: Sorry?
GES: Eng Seng, as in Gan Eng Seng.
Freshman: OHHH!! You are 'THE' Gan Eng Seng
GES: -_-|||

Scenario 2: Meeting Lab attachment student
GES: Hi, I'm Eng Seng
Attachment Student: Oh.
GES: My full name is Gan Eng Seng
Attachment Student: Ha Ha! Don't bluff lah.
show her my matriculation card and she look back in disbelief...

Scenario 3 and the most common one: submitting personal document
Receptionist looked at my application form, double checked with my photocopied IC and smiled
GES: (smile back) mere coincidence, mere coincidence..

These aren't the first, and I don't think they will be the last.

A friend of mine shared this with me on Facebook few months ago
Not really my tombstone la.

It belongs to Gan Eng Seng (the one here, not the one listed here), one of the early chinese pioneers of Singapore. And that explains why my name is ever so easy to remember among the Singaporeans.
Even if they don't know who he is, I guess they should at least know the 2 schools named after him, Gan Eng Seng School and Gan Eng Seng Primary School. =)

Photo taken with Gan Eng Seng School during my first trip to Singapore.
taken ~10years ago

2 comments:

said...

lol. u didnt change at all over the 10 years. thinner maybe.

GES said...

haha. that's wat my friends always tell me. constant weight n height. maybe the only thing that change is the hair style. =)